Online and On-Site Training for Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete
Above: D.S. Brown provided 12 instructors, training materials
and equipment at DFW and in two days, trainers and
attendees performed 22 spall repairs and learned the
proper installation techniques for Delastic® Pavement Seals.
Just as Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete has proven to be extremely durable and cost-effective, D.S. Brown team members continue to provide timely and innovative installation solutions through online and on-site training for the polyurethane patching material.
Airport pavement and joint repair training is critical, so when airport staff and local contractors are hampered by public health issues or other barriers, D.S. Brown team members have been able to hold full on-site training and webinars to bridge the gap.
Recent D.S. Brown training at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) are two examples of making sure that busy facilities remain active and in good repair.
Approximately 100 people at DFW received classroom instruction and hands-on lessons from D.S. Brown earlier this year, focusing on concrete joint sealing and spall repair best practices using Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete.
D.S. Brown later held a Microsoft Teams meeting to conduct remote Delpatch™ Training for the PHL team. Senior Technical Representative Dennis Preston led a webinar event to prepare all parties for the eventual remote tech rep installation of Delpatch™ on-site.
Regardless of future health or travel challenges, D.S. Brown continues to expand webinar efforts and classroom instruction to further meet the needs of customers.
Typically, D.S. Brown conducts training for pavement contractors at its facility in North Baltimore, Ohio. Onsite training at an active airfield was a new approach. DFW airport management saw potential upsides for reducing cost for training airfield maintenance and quality control staff, and D.S. Brown increased the realism of its hands-on sessions.
“By doing the training at the airport, participants gained on-site experience working with joint seal and spall repair products,” said Uriah Carpenter, D.S. Brown’s Regional Sales Manager. “With aircraft taking off, landing and taxiing right next to us as we worked, instructions and questions had to be shouted out, creating a real-life work atmosphere.”
Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete is a 2-part polyurethane patching material mixed with proprietary aggregates. Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete has been specified and installed on airport runways and highways since 1983. Over time and through demonstrated field performance, Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete has proven to be extremely durable and cost-effective. Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete is the product of choice for owners and facilities looking for permanent concrete repair solutions.
Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete Advantages
- High-load bearing capacity: Handles the weight of C-4s, 747s, and heavy truck traffic.
- Outstanding anti-spalling properties: Delpatch™ is a long-term solution for high-performance pavement repairs.
- Excellent adhesion to concrete and steel: Laboratory tests show Delpatch™ withstands over 400 psi with concrete and 500 psi with steel.
- Impact resistant: Under bitterly cold conditions Delpatch™ withstands heavy impact, unlike epoxy and concrete-based materials that shatter.
- High compressive strength: Delpatch™ can handle heavy psi pressure before deflecting, and its memory allows it to return to its near original state after deflection.
- Chemical resistant: Delpatch™ resists commonly used chemicals such as ASTM Oil #1, ASTM Fuel A, Ethylene Glycol, Freon, Isopropyl Alcohol, JP-4 JetFuel, Silicone Grease, Sodium Chloride, Mineral Oil, Trisodium Phosphate, and Potassium Acetate.
- Easy to install: Delpatch™ is self-leveling and has a rapid cure time. This minimizes expensive downtime and allows for the return of traffic often within an hour of final pour. It also protects work crews by minimizing their exposure to heavy traffic.
- Flexibility: Cement, Phosphate, Epoxy and most other high early strength repair materials prematurely fail because they are rigid. Rigid repair materials installed in rigid pavement require that the materials have similar coefficient of expansion. Most do not and, as a result, destroy the patch and the surrounding concrete. Delpatch™ utilizes a unique urethane chemistry to provide a flexible patch that will deflect as surrounding concrete expands and contracts, rather than destroy it.
Resources & Support for Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete
+ Review the D.S. Brown Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete guide.
+ Examples of Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete:
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
- Anchorage International Airport (ANC)
- Corpus Christi International Airport (CRP)
- Albuquerque Sunport International Airport (ABQ)
- Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
- Case Study – Beale Air Force Base (Calif.)
- Case Study – Klamath Falls (OR)
+ Video of Delpatch™ Elastomeric Concrete:
About the D.S. Brown Company
The D.S. Brown Company, founded in 1890, designs, supplies and manufactures engineered rubber, steel and concrete products for the transportation and infrastructure sector. D.S. Brown’s proprietary product line includes expansion joints, structural bearings, and waterproofing systems for constructing and rehabilitating highways and bridges. D.S. Brown’s home office and manufacturing facilities are in North Baltimore, Ohio.
D.S. Brown is fully integrated, performing and controlling all manufacturing processes internally:
- Research and Development
- Engineering Design/CAD Detailing
- Extruding, Molding and Testing
- Custom Steel Fabrication and Machining
D.S. Brown has the most comprehensive product-line serving the transportation industry. We manufacture solutions for the most challenging infrastructure applications. Our high-quality engineered products are available worldwide for new construction and rehabilitation of bridges, highways, airfields, pavements, and parking structures.
- Bridges: Since the early 1960s, D.S. Brown has provided expansion joint systems and specialty products for bridges around the globe. Learn more about our solutions for bridges.
- Pavements: Building highways and airport pavements to last is a challenging engineering assignment, especially when the pavement must withstand heavy traffic, weather extremes, debilitating fuels and de-icing chemicals. You need reliable products with a proven track record. Learn more about our solutions for pavements.
- Architectural: D.S. Brown provides a variety of expansion joint products for parking garages and other architectural applications. Learn more about our architectural solutions.
- Concrete Repair: D.S. Brown offers a variety of cementitious and composite solutions for various concrete repair projects. Learn more about our concrete repair solutions.
Contact D.S. Brown
Contact our D.S. Brown pavement representatives – Uriah Carpenter, Ryan Sypherd or Darren Johnson. You can also find D.S. Brown on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube. Let us know what other online training that you might find helpful.